Every night, we have the same routine. I make dinner, we eat as a family, and then Jon gives the boys a "tubby" while I clean up the kitchen. We brush teeth, say prayers, and turn the lights out. Some nights (and these are few and far between) the boys stay in bed and stay somewhat quiet as they drift off to sleep. Most nights, they do not. Most nights, Noah comes out several times. Most nights, Noah keeps Dawson awake. Some nights, it's easier to just let Noah sleep in our bed (guilty!). Regardless, the whole process is always rushed. I read somewhere that you should make bedtime "exciting!" so that your kids will anticipate the process. Really? I have been with them all day. I haven't had much of a break. I'm tired. I just don't want to drag bedtime out into anything more than I absolute have to. Bare minimum. How selfish.
Last night, after dinner was over. I didn't clean up the kitchen right away. In fact... there are still a few dishes in the sink. Crumbs still grace the floor. Jon gave the kids a tubby, and instead of rushing them to bed, we did something we should do a lot more often around here.
God spoke:
"Slow down. Make the moments count."
We listened.
We sat on the floor of the boys' room and read out of their devotional book. We let them jump on the bed. I sat and watched as Daddy wrestled with his boys. I snapped photos. I watched the pure joy in their faces. I watched the pure joy in my husband's face. I felt myself relax. I let myself relax. I laughed harder than I have in a while. I felt content. I felt God's presence. I left the mess in the kitchen. I slowed down. I said "yes" to seizing the opportunity and making the moment count.
And guess what?
It was totally worth it.
The boys are napping now. I guess I'll clean up the kitchen...


No comments:
Post a Comment